Both dental crowns and bridges replace missing or damaged teeth. They are considered permanent or “fixed” because they are cemented into place and can last a lifetime.
What Are Dental Crowns?
A crown is essentially a cap that can be placed over either a damaged tooth or a dental implant. Typically made from porcelain or ceramic, crowns are made to look and behave just like natural teeth. Because of their strength and durability, crowns can last for years or even decades without any special treatment beyond simple brushing and flossing.
A bridge is similar to a crown but it covers more than one missing tooth. The teeth on both ends of the bridge are used to anchor it into position.
Why Get A Crown Or Bridge?
Health – Missing or damaged teeth can lead to damage to the jaw and surrounding teeth. Replacing them with crowns or bridges can restore your natural bite and protect your oral health.
Cosmetic – Because crowns and bridges look just like natural teeth, you can feel confident in your smile again.
What Is The Process?
- After applying local anesthetic, the anchor tooth or teeth are reshaped to serve as abutments for the crown or bridge.
- The dentist takes an impression of the space to be filled and develops a mold, then covers the anchor(s) with a temporary crown or bridge.
- A dental lab uses the mold to build the crown or bridge.
- The temporary crown/bridge is removed and the final one is set into place, then tested for a perfect fit.
Benefits of Crowns and Bridges
There are several major benefits to both crowns and bridges. Here at Mile High Smiles, we believe they are the preferred dental restoration options because they offer the following:
- Durability: Perhaps one of the greatest benefits of crowns and bridges is the fact that the are extremely durable. They are both prepared with high quality materials and tend to last significantly longer than removable dentures. If you receive a crown or bridge, you don’t have to worry about it going bad in a few years.
- Esthetics: Your confidence is everything. Therefore, crowns and bridges, which are made to restore the original shape of your teeth, are the way to go. Not only are they both strong but they both offer an esthetic advantage that can improve the way you look and feel.
- Stabilization: Crowns and bridges can effectively stabilize your remaining teeth. This can prevent any tooth damage from occurring and reduce your risk of serious and costly complications down the road.
- Jawbone Integrity: One of the most overlooked yet important benefits of crowns and bridges is the fact that they can maintain the integrity of your jawbone. This is particularly true if they are supported by dental implants.
- Permanent Fixtures: Unlike dentures which have to be taken out nightly and cleaned, crowns and bridges are permanent fixtures in your mouth. They can replace lost teeth and preserve the natural feel and function of your mouth without any hassle. Once they have been added to your mouth, you are likely to forget they are even in there.
- No Food Restrictions: With crowns and bridges, you can eat anything you desire. This is not usually the case with other restorative treatments like dentures as hard foods that require a lot of chewing are difficult to eat.
These benefits help explain why Dr. Levitin is a strong advocate of crowns and bridges and often recommends them over other dental restoration treatments.
Contact us today to schedule a consultation!