A dentist’s preference is always to save the natural tooth (if at all possible). If you find yourself facing a possible tooth extraction, you should inquire about a qualified dentist or endodontist in your area certified to offer root canal therapy or other alternative treatment programs. However, should it become clear that there is no other option available, rest assured that, thanks to the right dental implants procedure, modern technology is on your side.
Missing a tooth can create a number of uncomfortable issues. Biting and chewing can suddenly become exponentially more troublesome. The new gap can even cause your healthy teeth to start to shift. In your day-to-day life, missing a tooth can make you feel more self-conscious. This in turn may impact your ability to truly thrive in both personal and professional environments.
Fortunately, dental implants are now state-of-the art innovations that may literally be just what the doctor ordered. In a dental implant, a small piece of titanium (called a post) is implanted into your jawbone. Over time, the bone grows to bond with this post and effectively serves as a man-made tooth root. The bonding process is called osseointegration. Once this foundation is secure, the replacement tooth (crown) or teeth can be held safely in place. Then, restoration can conclude. Depending on your situation, you may only need a simple crown restoration for one or two missing teeth. However, dental implants can replace partial or full dentures as well. Candidates simply need to possess adequate bone support, have healthy gum tissue, and be in good health.
How Dental Implants Improve Lives
When your dentist confirms that your tooth needs to be extracted and replaced, it might be easy to panic or feel distress. Relax! Recipients of dental implants enjoy a wide variety of benefits.
- First and foremost, new implants look great! The average person is completely unable to tell what is or is not an artificial tooth, especially in casual conversation or any environment outside your dentist’s office. With a great smile and improved self-esteem, the day will once again be yours to seize.
- Dental implants are about more than just looking great. Implants can make your life a little more comfortable, especially compared to alternatives like common dentures. You won’t even worry about mouth sliding. There is no need for an adjustment period in order to be able to speak comfortably or eat certain foods, as is common with removable dentures. Implants work and feel just like natural teeth.
- Implants can, in at least one way, make life even easier than when you had a mouth of exclusively natural teeth – an implant-restored crown or artificial tooth cannot get cavities! You do need to keep it clean, but that should go for all of your teeth.
- Dental implants are long-lasting, sustainable solutions. You may require periodic adjustments, but, with the proper care, your implants are built to last a lifetime.
- Dental implants don’t only replace your missing teeth, but are able to fill the gap without adversely affecting your adjacent, natural teeth. They even help protect and preserve healthy bone.